top of page
  • Kertar & Sandhu

What do you do if you are served with divorce papers?

Updated: Sep 18, 2020

Firstly, understanding you can't simply just ignore this service. It is important for you to enter an appearance of a divorce suit in aim to display your intention to defend yourself in action and submit the jurisdiction of the court.

Let these questions below be the first action taken by you in a calm and content manner.

  1. Asking yourself if you wish to actually give your spouse the divorce.

  2. Do you think your spouse has case against you?

  3. Do you think that there is a chance your marriage could be saved by effective counselling or visiting a family therapists?

  4. Will some sort of mediation help?

  5. Lastly, should you proceed with the divorce? Maybe consider a Deed of Separation? Deed of Reconciliation? or even a Judicial Separation?

Please do note that you will have only 8 days to enter an appearance once you have been served the divorce papers to decide if you will be contesting or not contesting.

It is highly recommended to seek the help of a Lawyer as soon as possible.

33 views0 comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page